Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent[_5_] Kent[_5_] is offline

Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

"T" > wrote in message
> In article >, baz@country says...
>>
>> It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
>> anyone here ever cooked in this way?
>>
>> It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
>> would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
>> anyway?
>>
>> I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for it on one of
>> my
>> internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a
>> web
>> site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to
>> make
>> this way.......
>>
>> If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or
>> just
>> dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
>> such an unusual way to cook.....
>>
>> http://www.cookingsousvide.com/
>>
>> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

> One of my YouTube recommendations was for the Sous Vide cooker.
> Essentially a big water bath heated to a relatively low temperature.
>
> The guy hawking it was selling it on its taking 45 minutes to cook a
> steak, and then you have to brown it a bit in a pan.
>
> I put a comment on the vid that said:
>
> "Wait a minute. I can take a steak, sear it at high temp for about 3 to
> 4 minutes a side, then into a preheated oven for ten minutes turning
> once and get steaks that are just pink in the middle, and not gray
> masses.
>
> So total cook time, 18 minutes.
>
> I don't take the preheat time into account because it takes my oven
> about 15 minutes to get up to full temp. So in my case I let the steaks
> rest for that period while getting the pan heated up, etc.

When you sear as above you get a grey band under the sear. When you cook a
steak sous vide you end up with edge to edge uniformity of color and
temperature. You sear either before or after over very high heat on a saute
pan or on a Salamader high temp. infrared broiler.