Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Gus Gus is offline

Default hand made samosa or ready made?

On May 30, 11:12*am, Ken Blake > wrote:

> Thank you, but I know what empanadas are. A empanada may have some
> similarities to a samosa, but it is *not* a samosa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empanada

Empanadas trace their origins to Galicia, Spain and Portugal. They
first appeared in medieval Iberia during the time of the Moorish
invasions. A cookbook published in Catalan in 1520, the Libre del Coch
by Ruperto de Nola, mentions empanadas filled with seafood among its
recipes of Catalan, Italian, French, and Arabian food. In turn, it is
believed that empanadas and the similar calzones are both derived from
the Arabic meat-filled pies, samosa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samosa

The word samosa can be traced to the Persian "sanbosag". The pastry
name in other countries also derives from this root, such as the
crescent-shaped sanbusak or sanbusaj in Arab countries, sambosa in
Afghanistan, "samosa" in India, "samboosa" in Tajikistan, samsa by
Turkic-speaking nations, sambusa in parts of Iran and chamuça in Goa,
Mozambique and Portugal. While they are modernly referred to as
sambusak in the Arabic-speaking world, Medieval Arabic recipe books
sometimes spell it sambusaj.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_pocket

Hot Pockets are microwaveable turnovers usually containing a
combination of cheese, meat, and vegetables. Hot Pockets are currently
produced by Nestlé.

> My point was simply that the message to which I was replying was
> off-topic here.

Discussions of *food* are off topic in this nearly dead NG?

Who knew?