Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default TN: Ridge 1973 California Cabernet Sauvigon Monte Bello

The wine is Ridge 1973 California Cabernet Sauvigon Monte Bello. It
was from 2300 - 2600 ft elevation, had 12.8% alcohol, and was bottled
in Oct. 1975. It has been stored properly since release.This was my
last bottle, and I decided to drink it because the level in the bottle
had dropped a bit below the neck. I am glad I opened it, because the
cork was nearing failure. It crumbled easily, but I finally got it out
without dropping cork crumbs in the bottle.

The color is still fairly deep with a bit of age showing around the
rim. It is typical Ridge in bouquet and taste and still has enough
fruit and some medium tannin. It is a much better food wine than many
of the monsters made in the 70s. It is a bit lighter than some of the
Monte Bellos from more famous years. The wine was holding much better
than the cork.