Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Q: Mesquite Lump? Does it add mesquite flavor?

On 5/28/2011 10:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2011 19:55:30 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> I use hickory chunks as I prefer hickory to mesquite so I was wondering
>> if using mesquite lump was going to interfere with the hickory flavor.

> Generally, no. There are a few brands that may add some slight
> flavor, but none of the brands you'd buy at HEB. I usually buy the
> "Arriba"? brand at HEB for $2.99 6.6lbs (cowboy with a lasso on brown
> bag). One store even had 25lb bags of it for under $10 but that was
> way up north of me, and 25lbs don't work well on the bus.
>
> Consider pecan chunks for your next baga chunks. It's a slightly
> milder pecan with less chance of bitterness. I like lots of smoke and
> tend to over do it with hickory.
>
> Even the mesquite lump that does have a little bit of flavor left in
> it will not be objectionable if you don't like mesquite or mixed with
> other wood.

Thanks, Steve. The bag you described at HEB is the one I saw.

I guess once it turns into charcoal, there isn't much if any flavoring
left in the wood.

I have not seen pecan chunks. I'll have to look for them. I have had
pretty good success with the hickory chunks in foil.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas