Vox Humana

Default Cool Whip

<Alan > wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:43:18 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>

> > wrote in message
> thlink.net...
> >> Cool Whip is a wonderful product that comes in many flavours and can be
> >> added to anything. It tastes just like whipped cream. My kids used to
> >> take popcicles and dip them in Cool Whip for treats the same with

cookies.
> >> You can add it to any recipe that calls for whipped cream (that has no
> >> taste and lots of fat and cholesterol) it doesn't melt or fade away and
> >> can be added to a 1 pound box of powdered sugar for a great frosting.
> >> Matt

> >Cool Whip is a first cousin to non-dairy coffee creamers. This class of
> >products contains hydrogenated tropical oils and saturated fat. If you

like
> >them, that is a personal thing. I see little to recommend them. I don't
> >think they taste very good - certainly not like real whipped cream. Cool
> >Whip has a strange chemical taste, probably from the artificial vanilla
> >flavor that it contains. I don't have whipped cream very often, maybe

twice
> >a year. I would rather have the real thing. You can stabilize whipped
> >cream if you want to use it in pastries.
> >

> I don't much like Cool Whip, but I think the 'chemical' taste doesn't
> come from the artificial vanilla. Cook's Illustrated does blind
> taste testing, and when they tasted vanilla against vanillin, not one
> taster could tell the difference!
>
> I think other things in the mixture have to do with the weird taste.

You might be right. However, as I recall, the CI test concluded that you
couldn't tell the difference when using vanillin in cooked/baked items but
they recommended using real vanilla in things like whipped cream that aren't
heated. One thing for sure it that there is a strange taste to Cool Whip.
I also think it is too sweet.