Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Ancient wine was very high in alcol: reality or myth?

On May 19, 4:40*pm, James Silverton >
wrote:
> On 5/19/2011 5:31 PM, cwdjrxyz wrote:

> >> Neat! Iced water goes on top of alcohol so that you can take away the
> >> iced part thus reducing the water parecentage, thus increasing the
> >> alcohol percentage? That sounds easy and sound.

> > It is very easy. Seehttp://eckraus.com/wine-making-applejack.htmlfor
> > detailed directions. Note that temperatures mentioned are in F an not
> > C degrees.

> Somehow, I don't think that was a technique much used in Egypt!

So far as I know, the technique was not used anywhere in the ancient
world. However since Roman soldiers went to many cold countries as
well as warm countries and drank wine, it is quite likely that they
had some wine freeze in northern Europe. If someone tasted the
unfrozen portion and noted that it was much stronger, then that is all
it would take to discover the technique. If the rich in Rome liked it
and would pay enough, it likely could be arranged to freeze wine in
northern Europe and send it back to Rome. If such happened, it seems
highly likely that someone would have written about it. If the rich
Romans could have parrot tongues imported to eat and have snow brought
down mountains, then commerce in wine enriched by freezing should have
been no problem.