Posted to rec.food.historic
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default Recipe for Chop Suey, 1905

Tim W wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Tim W wrote:
>>>>

>> Yes, I enjoy it. It is especially nice to see the things as I sort and
>> shelve them at the new house.
>>

> How old is old enough for you to be interested? very old? and I presume you
> are american and in america, so these are American books mainly?
>
> Just curious.
>
> Tim W

Well, of course, if one collects US cookbooks, then there is a
limit on old because the oldest one came out in 1796. I doubt I
am going to get that. So probably early 1800s, as far as US
cookbooks go. But then there are the books from England that were
later published in the United States, and those are interesting
too. I don't actively seek those, but if I see them...

One problem with the really old books (by any definition) is that
they are apt to command a high price unless one finds those that
are not in the hands of dealers or which the dealers have been too
lazy to look at and price. So, my interest is tempered by my
ability to pay for them. In fact, I have read that such things
will be mostly in the hand of the rich, for the obvious reason.

--
Jean B.