Bruce B

Default What roaster to buy?

Coming back to an old thread with a negative answer and I hope this has
not already been thrashed to death he

Here is a roaster NOT to buy. It's new here in Germany and I've never
seen it anywhere else, but things like this do not usually remain local.
You can look at it he

http://www.dieckmann-aroma-kaffee.de/

It roasts an amazing 300g and is basically a heat-gun with a small,
plastic-gear driven rotating drum. The price is €199 or about $230.

Reading the well-hidden instructions it says (albeit in German): DO NOT
USE WITH NORMAL GREEN COFFEE BEANS! THESE HAVE NOT HAD THE CHAFF REMOVED
AND CAN BE A FIRE HAZARD.

What this means then is you can only roast the "pretreated" beans sold
by Dieckmann in 300g portions in plastic bags for €2.50. The beans look
vaguely like the description of monsooned Malabar, ie. a dirty,
yellow-grey color. I don't have any idea whether they are preroasted or
how the chaff is removed, but I think it is obvious why one would not
want to own one of these.

Just a warning to German alties and/or in case this thing shows up on
other markets.

Bruce "who likes to remove his own chaff, thank you" B