Jack Denver

Default What is your favorite Mass Market Coffee in US?

I'm not sure if its a cold brew or hot brew process. I know the concentrate
is kept frozen for freshness. I don't think concentrate is ever made by
"boiling down" regular brewed coffee...that would indeed be yucky. Rather
you make a concentrate by brewing an extra strength coffee with less water.
You can remove even more water thru reverse osmosis or vacuum evaporation.
Not only would boiling at atmospheric pressure damage the product but
boiling is an energy inefficient method.Again the extra processing steps add
cost and I would not want to compare it to freshly roasted home roast brewed
in a vac pot, but compared to the typical mass market offering of stale
preground that has been "resting" on a hot plate, it is often better, much
much better. You only have to taste this product to know it does not taste
boiled or reheated. Diluted is another question because Americans do expect
weak coffee, but that could be easily adjusted by adding less water. It's
not a perfect product, but it's not the "instant" product that it appears to
be at first glance.

In effect, straight espresso is a coffee concentrate which can you dilute
with hot water to make brewed strength "Americanos". If you took fresh
espresso, froze it immediately after brewing and used it to make Americanos,
I think the result would not be bad, nor would mixing it with hot water give
it a "reheated" taste.

"Scott" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Jack Denver" > wrote:
>
> > The BK product is not "yuck" - it is probably the most consistently

fresh
> > mass market cup. The concentrate method insures that each cup is freshly
> > brewed at the time of service. In other places, the coffee sometimes

starts
> > out better, but after sitting on the hot plate for 1/2 hour or more,
> > fugetttaboutit.

> But what are the effects of creating the concentrate? That is, how is
> the concentrate made? If it's boiled down, then I don't think that
> subsequent fresh brewing (or, more specifically, dilution and reheating)
> is that much of a blessing.
>

> > Part of the fun of being a true coffee snob is you can puncture the
> > pretensions of lesser coffee snobs. Thus, when someone says "robusta -

yuck"