Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Solly's Hot Tamales

" wrote:

> I saw a video on line about how they make the tamales. They use
> cornmeal instead of masa harina, and the tamale is formed by a
> machine. I noticed they added melted lard rather than solid lard. I
> guess I am wondering if there is any problem forming the tamale by
> hand. I have made "regular tamales", and was wondering if anyone might
> have any insights in making this Solly's style.

There was a 2006 interview with Jewel McCain (current
proprietor of Solly's Hot Tamales) which was transcribed
into a 68-page pdf file. I donloaded it last year, but
it seems to have disappeared from the net since then.
In it, she says they make their tamales using a machine
made by the now-defunct Curry Manufacturing. This machine
has two chambers, one for dough and one for filling, and
coextrudes them. I have two of these machines. I haven't
used mine yet.