Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Subbing split peas for lentils

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:14:56 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>

> > I think they fall apart easier than lentils. That's why split pea
> > soup is not filled with whole split peas.

> Our tap water does not soften legumes very well. Thus, our split pea
> soup has split peas that look pretty much like they did in the package,
> unless they are smooshed or whizzed by an immersion blender.

I never use an immersion blender on that. I just let it cook a couple
more minutes.

> And are those whole split peas or split whole peas?

I am not positive, but I think they come out of the pod already split.
Believe it or not, I've actually spent time thinking about it. I
can't imagine someone sitting there, splitting individual peas one by
one (even in ancient times when labor was cheap), because there was so
much more to do in daily life.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.