Posted to rec.food.cooking
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Subbing split peas for lentils

On Apr 25, 9:30*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I made an almost-vegetarian chili a few weeks ago using lentils for the
> base, with a little TVP thrown in. *The only thing that kept it from
> being vegetarian is I added some pork broth. *It turned out good enough
> that I wanted to make it again.
>
> I went to the store, and lentils were almost $2 a pound! *(it wasn't
> that long ago that lentils were 39¢ a pound.) *Green split peas were
> only 89¢ so I bought those instead. *Will they work for this
> application, or should I do something else with them? *Green lentils
> cook up gray in color, which was easily overpowered by the brick-red
> chiles. *Split peas cook up a vivid green; I'm not sure how that will
> work. *Also aren't peas a little sweeter than lentils?
>
> I may try it anyway. *Cook the peas in some canned beef broth that I
> have in the pantry, then add pureed ancho and New Mexico chilies (and
> onions, garlic, oregano, and a little cumin and tomatoes.) *What do you
> think?

In my experience lentils are negligibly gassy while the same cannot be
said
of split peas. You may want to try your favorite degassing technique
on
the split peas before using them.

The other thing is I always cook split peas with a smoked hamhock or
similar. The flavors blend so well in my opinion.