Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Subbing split peas for lentils

I made an almost-vegetarian chili a few weeks ago using lentils for the
base, with a little TVP thrown in. The only thing that kept it from
being vegetarian is I added some pork broth. It turned out good enough
that I wanted to make it again.

I went to the store, and lentils were almost $2 a pound! (it wasn't
that long ago that lentils were 39¢ a pound.) Green split peas were
only 89¢ so I bought those instead. Will they work for this
application, or should I do something else with them? Green lentils
cook up gray in color, which was easily overpowered by the brick-red
chiles. Split peas cook up a vivid green; I'm not sure how that will
work. Also aren't peas a little sweeter than lentils?

I may try it anyway. Cook the peas in some canned beef broth that I
have in the pantry, then add pureed ancho and New Mexico chilies (and
onions, garlic, oregano, and a little cumin and tomatoes.) What do you
think?

-Bob