Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Butter on green beans?

Julie Bove > wrote:
: I love green beans. I bought a steamer bag of fresh green beans and made
: them for dinner tonight. Normally I just steam them and eat them. But the
: directions said to put butter, salt and pepper on them. I also read of a
: recipe in a magazine that called for butter and parmesan cheese on them.
: Now once in a while I have made green beans or beans and carrots with a
: little olive oil. But never butter. But I decided to try it.

: I didn't like it! I didn't like it at all! Maybe it's because I grew up
: eating plain vegetables. Mostly they were canned but once in a while they
: were fresh. My grandma did make beans with bacon in them, but I only
: remember having those a few times.

: So... Do you put butter on your beans? I think the only veggie I ever put
: butter on is potatoes. I don't even like it on corn. Once in a while on
: popcorn, but usually I even prefer that without.

I never put butter on vegetables and my mother never did. As most of our
meals withstriing beans meals had meat, butter would nt have been
considered.

I do not like buttered vegetables and, like you, I believe it is because
it is not what I grew up with.

I eat, and enjoy many foods I did not grow up with, but somehow I prefer
my vegetables plain, unless in some kind of dish like ratatouie(sp?) or
those great Greek stringbeans in tasty tomato based sauce, or Chinese,
etc.

Wendy