Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default What would be the "Ultimate" Steak & Eggs?

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:22:35 -0700, "M. JL Esq." >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > SIL harvested his first Yukon Golds last week and he says they were
> > sublime cooked fresh from the ground.

> Nothing like garden fresh, and garden fresh potatoes are even more tasty
> than the routine goodness of other garden fresh produce. One of the few
> things i think a pressure cooker is good for, fresh new potatoes,
> quickly cooked with a dash of salt.
> >
> >>I'm not thinking of a BIG steak, probably only about four ounces or so cut
> >>from a larger cooked steak. The egg should not be lost in the steak. The
> >>truffles would be shaved over the top. Can you think of a sauce which would
> >>complement all that while still being fairly light?
> >>

> > My favorite sauce with steak is bernaise, which I suppose could be
> > made light and ephemeral.... but I'd save it for brunch - a late one.
> > I think compound butter (and not a lot) would be better for breakfast.

> I cant imagine cooking much less eating a steak for b'fast. But as you
> state, for lunch or dinner i usually make a butter & wine pan sauce
> from the resulting fond of the suated steak or steak pieces.

We sometimes have steak and eggs (+ hash browns) for breakfast, but
the steak is leftover from the night before. I just wouldn't think of
doing it for my own breakfast under any other circumstances.

> Until they recently closed a local butcher sold "English short ribs"
> that i would occasionally season & dredge a couple of in flour and saute
> till nicely browned, remove from the pan and put the short ribs aside
> for later braising and proceed to make a pan sauce from the remaining
> fond to serve with some other quickly prepared foods. Those English
> short ribs make an remarkable fond for producing a very tasty sauce from.

Oh, man... you *would* tempt me like that! Short ribs are my
husband's favorite midrange restaurant meal.

> And speaking of compound butters, there is also an anchovy butter i have
> made a few times from a Lidia Bastianich recipe for a large grilled
> steak that i think is very good, i just don't keep enough anchovies
> around to think of making it in any spontaneous way.
>
> I tried looking it up on her site but couldn't find what i remember from
> the show, butter, mashed anchovies, a soupcon of well mashed garlic,
> salt, pepper, capers & a touch of various vinegar's or lemon juice if
> desired, a few drops of a good balsamic is very nice.
>
> Lydia adds a bit of the ubiquitous parsley iirc but i hardly ever
> remember to purchase it.
>
> All well mixed with room temp butter, no heating of any of the
> ingredients, so use discrete amounts especially of the raw garlic, and
> chill in the fridge till ready to use, serve the steak right off the
> grill with a tbs. of the butter.

Why don't you make a big batch of it (use the whole tin of anchovies,
use more parsley at once) and freeze in smaller portions or a log?

OH! I googled Lidia. This truffle and anchovy compound butter may be
just what the Dr. ordered for Bob's breakfast!
http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/414