Posted to rec.food.cooking
M. JL Esq. M. JL Esq. is offline

Default What would be the "Ultimate" Steak & Eggs?

sf wrote:
> SIL harvested his first Yukon Golds last week and he says they were
> sublime cooked fresh from the ground.

Nothing like garden fresh, and garden fresh potatoes are even more tasty
than the routine goodness of other garden fresh produce. One of the few
things i think a pressure cooker is good for, fresh new potatoes,
quickly cooked with a dash of salt.

>>I'm not thinking of a BIG steak, probably only about four ounces or so cut
>>from a larger cooked steak. The egg should not be lost in the steak. The
>>truffles would be shaved over the top. Can you think of a sauce which would
>>complement all that while still being fairly light?
>>

> My favorite sauce with steak is bernaise, which I suppose could be
> made light and ephemeral.... but I'd save it for brunch - a late one.
> I think compound butter (and not a lot) would be better for breakfast.

I cant imagine cooking much less eating a steak for b'fast. But as you
state, for lunch or dinner i usually make a butter & wine pan sauce
from the resulting fond of the suated steak or steak pieces.

Until they recently closed a local butcher sold "English short ribs"
that i would occasionally season & dredge a couple of in flour and saute
till nicely browned, remove from the pan and put the short ribs aside
for later braising and proceed to make a pan sauce from the remaining
fond to serve with some other quickly prepared foods. Those English
short ribs make an remarkable fond for producing a very tasty sauce from.

And speaking of compound butters, there is also an anchovy butter i have
made a few times from a Lidia Bastianich recipe for a large grilled
steak that i think is very good, i just don't keep enough anchovies
around to think of making it in any spontaneous way.

I tried looking it up on her site but couldn't find what i remember from
the show, butter, mashed anchovies, a soupcon of well mashed garlic,
salt, pepper, capers & a touch of various vinegar's or lemon juice if
desired, a few drops of a good balsamic is very nice.

Lydia adds a bit of the ubiquitous parsley iirc but i hardly ever
remember to purchase it.

All well mixed with room temp butter, no heating of any of the
ingredients, so use discrete amounts especially of the raw garlic, and
chill in the fridge till ready to use, serve the steak right off the
grill with a tbs. of the butter.
--
JL