Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default What would be the "Ultimate" Steak & Eggs?

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 22:38:15 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> I'm still mulling over my concept of the "ultimate" steak & egg dish.
> >> Besides truffles, I think potatoes would have to be in there somewhere.
> >> Some
> >> kind of sauce which enhances all the other components; maybe just a
> >> compound
> >> butter with thyme and shallots.
> >>

> > Everything you're thinking of sounds wonderful, but I wouldn't want it
> > for breakfast.

> Good point; it needs to be lightened up.
>
> The potatoes I had in mind were something like this:
>
> Peel yellow potatoes and cut into slices about three-eighths of an inch
> thick. Brown them in oil, then simmer in stock until tender.

Potatoes so thin don't need to be cooked twice, but simmer first and
brown after would be my preference.

SIL harvested his first Yukon Golds last week and he says they were
sublime cooked fresh from the ground.

> I'm not thinking of a BIG steak, probably only about four ounces or so cut
> from a larger cooked steak. The egg should not be lost in the steak. The
> truffles would be shaved over the top. Can you think of a sauce which would
> complement all that while still being fairly light?

My favorite sauce with steak is bernaise, which I suppose could be
made light and ephemeral.... but I'd save it for brunch - a late one.
I think compound butter (and not a lot) would be better for breakfast.