Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Watch This!

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 01:45:01 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 16:46:20 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:

>> >Your first mistake was in buying *canned* sauerkraut. I'm not a fan of
>> >sauerkraut but I was given a recipe for pork roast years ago that required
>> >it. I was told definitely don't buy the canned stuff. Seems it also comes
>> >in a bag in the cold produce section

>> I'm no fan of canned sauerkraut but I have to admit that the Del Monte
>> brand Bavarian style canned sauerkraut is excellent.

>I like the bagged Boar's Head, but the best I ever had was mom's home
>made... I'm hoping the recipe is written down somewhere in her notes.
>I know I still have her 3 bladed cabbage slicer. Like a giant Mandolin
>with a box carrier.
>
>Still have the crock too! Glazed ceramic and holds about 5 gallons at a
>time. She taught me how to make a "water seal" for it to keep the
>nasties out of it while it fermented. Not sure it's as bad as Kimchee as
>I've never made that but it likely comes close! <g>

The problen with making ones own kraut is that it doesn't pay unless
one makes at least a five gallon crock full, but then having folks
enough to help eat it.

>But well worth it. She'd then can it in quart jars with Dry Muscat wine.

Well, if she canned it then it wasn't much different from commercially
canned... can always drain and season tinned to ones liking.

Try the Del Monte Bavarian style with caraway, it will change minds
about canned kraut... doesn't even have that stench when opened.
Of course all sauerkraut is high in salt but not so much when well
drained. Bavarian style replaces part of the curing salt with sugar.