Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Dinner 4-4-2011

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 15:17:47 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>> On Apr 4, 10:03 pm, sf > wrote:
>>> Dinner tonight was grilled t-bone lamb chops and steamed "orange"
>>> cauliflower... served with couscous that I had on hand already. The
>>> couscous was made with mushrooms, onion and lemon - yummy!
>>>
>>> We even lit the candles.
>>>
>>> Hubby's comment was: With meals this good, we don't need to eat out
>>> (he pauses, then says)... and we don't have to tip the waiter.
>>> Tru dat.

>> There aren't many places that I can go out to eat where the food is as
>> good as what I can cook.
>> Mainly the reason I go out to eat anymore is not for the food, it's
>> for the 'social' aspects of the people you are with and the fun to be
>> had. It's nice to be waited on....if the staff is good.
>>
>> As for the food.....I pretty much always can make a better meal at
>> home, I bet most of the cooks here can as well.

>Amen! I agree with all that)

Yeah, I'm sure everyone here can do a mean mac n'cheese.

I don't think that's necessarilly true at all... unless you're talking
folks who go out to eat the typical meat, potatoes, and salad... that
includes most every fast food/chain joint. But I rarely eat out
unless it's something I can't easily prepare at home, either some
ethnic food like oriental because it requires so many oddball
ingredients, mega BTUs, tons of prep time and/or something that stinks
up my house like fish or liver... I love calves liver, bouillabaisse,
scungilli and the like, but I'm not going to have my house smell like
some peasant lives here... that's why there are seafood joints,
spaghetti houses, and greek diners. And I'm sure not going out to eat
breakfast, two eggs, two tiny sausage, a small scoop of hash browns,
toast, and dishwater coffee, walk out hungry and at least $10 lighter.
There's a very nice tavern a 15 minute leisurely drive away that
serves the most fantastic lunch menu that includes grilled calves
liver, a huge thick slab cooked a perfect pink with lots of bacon and
smothered onions; $12 and another $4 for the salad bar I don't need to
eat till tomorrow... they fix a mean 2ni too. Sometimes I can't
finish that slab of liver so I bring home enough to feed my cats. But
I'll be damned if I'm gonna go out to eat a steak, chops, chicken or
anything else I can easily slap on my grill and then let them rob me
when presented the bill. I went out to eat with a couple of neighbors
last month, one ordered the half a roast chicken dinner, half a small
fryer; $23! Okay it came with a baked potato, a veggie, bread n'
butter, and a small salad... but a lousy piece of chicken $23, yikes!
That half a chicken contained so little meat I'd need the whole
chicken to feed my cats. And that chicken looked to me exactly like
the rotisserie chicken anyone could buy at the stupidmarket deli down
the road for under $5 for the whole chicken... very easy to reheat
those things in the nuker, wouldn't surprise me one bit. I ordered
the grilled salmon dinner with fries (I don't do fries at home), $4
less than the half chicken but was more to eat, was a whole half a
fillet that covered my plate, I brought home a nice treat for my
babies.