Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking
nobody but us chickens[_4_] nobody but us chickens[_4_] is offline

Default Boxed Cake Mix Better Than From Scratch ???

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
m...

> On 13/03/2011 4:05 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> As a market researcher of 35 years' experience, I say hooey to the
>> broad conclusions.
>>
>> The major flaw is that most folks were raised on mix cakes - doctored
>> or otherwise - and that sort of taste and texture is what gets
>> established as the gold standard in the mind of these beholders. Same
>> reason that McD's usually wins in French fry contests.

> My mother usually made cakes from scratch, except for chocolate. She
> figured that she would have had to pay extra for chocolate to flavour the
> cake, so chocolate cake mixes were a bargain.

One of the best ones though I ever had was 1 I actually made from scratch
for a birthday.
Both the cake & frosting were made following some Hershey cocoa recipes.
Does that make it a cocoa cake, chocolate, or what? Recipe said chocolate.
It was rich, dense, moist. I'm not sure about the cost but taste.... yum.
Every year now I give him the choice of the chocolate one or cheesecake.