Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlotte L. Blackmer[_3_] Charlotte L. Blackmer[_3_] is offline

Default I made lemon bars

In article >,
Nancy Young > wrote:
>gloria.p wrote:
>> On 3/27/2011 4:36 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> I've never had a lemon bar, but whenever I've seen a picture
>>> of them they look *really* good. USA Today magazine had a
>>> recipe so I went for it. Really easy and boy, they're as delicious
>>> as I thought they would be.
>>>
>>> Not being a baker, the recipe looked pretty foolproof for me, and
>>> there was a video to really seal the deal.
>>>

>"http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20110325/FOOD04/103270307/Recipe-Luscious-Lemon-Bars"
>>> or
>>>
>>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/45ogvok

>> I saw that recipe and cut out the page. It did sound good.
>>
>> When I was a kid the bakery made lemon squares with a flaky, delicate
>> top and bottom crust and a filling like lemon meringue pie.
>> They were delicious and I don't remember them being as sweet
>> as lemon bars.

>The lemon layer calls for 3/4 cup of sugar, I wonder if the amount
>could be reduced with no bad effects.

If you are using Meyer lemons - definitely cut the sugar down. I tend to
use the same measures, but visibly scant the filling. And if it's
something like "1 cup plus one tablespoon" I don't add the TBS.

I love lemon bars!

Charlotte