Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.cooking

Default Taking some wine to friends house.

On 20/03/2011 5:59 PM, Stu. wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:22:52 -0400, Dave >
> wrote:

>>> Is any harm done by filtering out the dregs?
>>>

>> We ended up pouring it through a fine sieve. It was fine, but I was
>> amazed at the volume of the dregs.

> Obviously they pulled it from the bottom of the vat, any wine I made was pulled
> from about an inch and a half above the carboy's bottom and filtered through a
> electric filter (eight paper filters).
>
> Most Chilean wines I've ever drank never had sediments, so I'm not sure what
> you bought.

The only thing obvious is that you didn't read much of my post. It
wasn't Chilean wine. It was vintage port. I doubt that any Chilean wine
sold here would have sediment. It is basically cheap wine made to be
consumed soon after bottling. They may make some quality wines intended
to be aged, but the stuff I see in the liquor store is budget wine,
sometimes heavy tasting, but not complex.