Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 3 wines I like- Rioja, Loire, Languedoc

On 3/17/11 1:36 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Takeout Chinese before a board meeting, but when I got home Betsy had
> saved me a bit of seaweed and sashimi from her dinner, so seemed a
> good time for a half bottle of the 2008 Huet Le Mont Vouvray Demi-sec.
> I was worried this might be closed, but it was quite open and giving.
> Really striking acidity, moderate sweetness keeps it from being tart,
> citrus, honey, and wax. Excelllent length, of course young but really
> quite delicious. A-

That's great to hear, Dale. I picked up a bottle of this at Crush on
the strength of John Gilman's endorsement of the '08 demi-secs. Not
that I was really worried about it... ;-)

> Cooking (and later sipping) wine was the 2009 Iche "Les
> Heretiques" (VdP l'Herault). I crave variety and therefore don't have
> a "house wine," but if I did this would be an annual contender, I
> guess my favorite $8-9 red. Dark juicy fruit, earth and just a hint of
> barnyard, friendly and refreshing. Fine value. B

That's also good to hear. I picked up a bottle of the '09 d'Oupia, so
will report on that in due course.

Mark Lipton