Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bryan[_6_] Bryan[_6_] is offline

Default Boxed Cake Mix Better Than From Scratch ???

On Mar 13, 9:46*pm, Mort > wrote:
> David Harmon wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 12:00:19 -0800 in rec.food.cooking, Mark Thorson
> > > *wrote,
> >> His reasons are that the ingredients are better measured,
> >> and they use ingredients that you can't get.

> > It's not that people can't get cake flour, but why bother when they
> > already have "all purpose"?

> Because AP has a higher gluten content and will
> make a less tender crumb.

I think that David's question was rhetorical, and he, and nearly
everyone who posts here, or even lurks here, already knew what you
wrote. I guess that cake mixes that had only the dry ingredients pre-
mixed might be fine, but I don't think they'd save much work anyway.
Cakes are easy if you follow instructions and use only great
ingredients. The Cake Bible water bath method is pretty fool proof
for the easiest cakes. The cakes where you separate the eggs require
a little know how. Anyone who uses Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker or
Pillsbury cake mixes is worthy of nothing better than ridicule.

> --
> Mort

--Bryan