Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Are you cooking more or less than you used to?

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> ok how about a funny food memory?
>
> when i was five or so, my mom asked me if i would like another brother or
> sister, i said fine, my older brother said not really, my mom asked me
> which i would prefer, i said a sister, my older brother said he didn't
> care...
>
> time passes, my mom is gone, my dad comes home, and says, ok for dinner we
> are having grilled cheese tomato soup and spinach, great, my favorite
> meal, next morning my dad fixes pancakes with real syrup my mom
> evidentally made a bit earlier in the week, and fresh strawberries...
> grandmother arrives few days later my mom brings home a sister for us...
>
> sixteen no maybe less than that mom again says, would you like another
> brother or sister, i say not really but whatever, older brother says no
> thanks... but if you have to have one what do you want, we both say
> brother,... time passes, we come home from school, dad is there he has
> made another favorite meal, it has canned peas, c/mushroom soup tuna and
> toast, no mom... next morning we get bacon toast and hard fried eggs...
> off to school, home and other grandmother arrives... then mom is home in a
> few days with younger brother...
>
> they are only thirteen/sixteen months apart... after that when my mom
> would say lets grill, and i knew my dad was cooking i freaked out thinking
> i would be getting another sibling...
>
> until this i had no idea my dad could even turn on the stove, i find out
> years later not only can he cook i find he is excellent about it,
>
> Lee, who has lots of hillarious food stories about her family

My dad has tried to cook. Probably the worst thing he did was a Weight
Watcher's recipe. He only did it because my mom refused to. It was Sweet
and Sour Liver with Pineapple Chunks. Has to be the worst food we have all
ever tasted. We went to McDonalds that night. No Supersize stuff or kid's
meals in those days.

Once he made poppyseed cookies and he reckoned that he really liked
poppyseeds. So he put in waaaay too many. They came out black.

He can do simple things like hamburger patties, salads, relish trays and
heating stuff from cans.

But his sandwiches? I swear he used to do this on purpose. He would invite
all the neighborhood kids over for lunch. Then he would make little finger
sandwiches on white bread with the crusts cut off. I believe they were
peanut butter, jelly, mayo, bananas and lettuce. Want to see kids run home
in tears in very quick fashion? Just serve them that!

Once we went camping and we were out in some remote area with no stores or
restaurants nearby. We had no extra food. My mom made the infamous
Spaghetti Red. The only seasoning she put in there was chili powder. Well
she lost control of the can and dumped waaaay too much in. That stuff had a
bite to it! We all went to bed hungry that night.