Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Cost of Black Soy Beans--Gulp!

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Ozgirl > wrote:
: >
: > : "Janet" > wrote in message
: > : ...
: > : > W. Baker wrote:
: > : >> Janet > wrote:
: > : >>> I made turkey chili yesterday and used two cans of the soy
: > beans. We
: > : >>> had it for dinner last night--so far, no ill effects for either
: > of
: > : >>> us. Perhaps our fiber consumption is already high enough to
: > provide
: > : >>> the necessary "prep." While not as good as black beans, they
: > did
: > : >>> provide a bean element in the chili and if they keep my BG down
: > it
: > : >>> will be a great substitute. Unfortunately I failed to test after
: > : >>> dinner to see how they worked for me in terms of BG. I'll have
: > to do
: > : >>> it next time. (I made a big batch!)
: > : >>
: > : >> I guess you used the canned beans. I often use the dried one in
: > : >> soup,
: > : >> etc. I find that they need longer cooking than many other beans
: > and
: > : >> they have a firmer texture even afer long cooking. Not a bad
: > one,
: > : >> just less pastey if "overcooked."
: > : >>
: > : >> Wendy
: > : >
: > : > Yes--I haven't found the dried ones yet.
: >
: > : Health food stores and supermarkets have them here. I use to slow
: > cook
: > : mine all day so I could mash them to make croquettes or a base for a
: > : sandwich.
: >
: > Somehow a squashed bean salad doesn't hit me as a treat:-) what did
: > you
: > flavor this with, as the beans, alone, are pretty dull.

: Just mash will a bit of garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Spread it on bread
: like you would mashed avocado and top with other salad stuff like
: lettuces, cucumber, onion, alfalfa sprouts etc.
: Eat with knife and fork. I am confused now as to whether Janet is using
: soy beans as stated or Black soy beans as per the title. I have never
: heard of black soy beans only soy beans or black beans. I am talking the
: light coloured soy beans for my "recipe".

The conversation is about these black soy beans which have fewer carabs
than most other beans and, as a result, are very full of fiber and are
quite tough, requiring long cooking. They can affect some peoloe
gastrically very badly(me) but others(Susan) have no such problems. I, as
result, eat them in soups or stews, rather than alone.

Wendy