Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hot dogs and baked beans

On 2/11/2011 9:02 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 18:23:48 -0600, George Shirley
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Served over fresh Arkansas cornbread,

>> What makes Arkansas cornbread different from the rest?

> I'm betting it's the lack of flour, and sugar.<g>
> I have a couple of recipes on file:
>
> Arkansas Cornbread
>
> 2 cups yellow cornmeal
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 2 cups buttermilk
> 2 eggs well beaten.
>
> Stir the dry ingredients together eliminating any lumps in the soda.
> Beat the two eggs well and add the buttermilk and eggs to the dry
> ingredients.
>
> Heat the oven to 425F, take a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet add a
> tablespoon of oil, put in the oven as it's heating. When oven is ready
> pour the cornbread mix into the skillet and then bake for 20 minutes or
> until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the pone comes out dry.

That's the recipe I've been using all my life and the one my Mom and
Grandmom used too. That's real cornbread, that stuff with flour and
sugar is cake in my family. I heat the oven to 450F though, it's ready
in about 20 minutes and is done all the way through and the bottom and
sides are a dark brown crust. I love the stuff with "sweet" milk poured
over it with freshly ground black pepper and some chopped onion. "Sweet"
milk is just milk instead of buttermilk. I could never drink buttermilk
but my Dad loved the stuff.

When I was a kid and Dad went on strike we lived on chicken and
cornbread, we raised our own chickens and, quite often, would have two
or three acres of Trucker's Favorite corn growing. Could eat the corn in
the milk stage as roasting ears and leave a bunch to dry on the stalk
and then shuck it and take the corn off the cob and then grind it in the
old corn grinder. Dad had hooked an old electric motor off a washing
machine to a pulley and belt where the handle on the grinder went so we
could make two passes with corn and turn it into fresh corn meal. Good eats.