Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
schwarze schwarze is offline

Default tamales

On Feb 6, 4:58*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Don't confuse the name of the food/recipe, most of all (duh). *

There are several generally used terms in Mexican cuisine which cause
the uninformed to expect a certain dish to be served in a certain way.

For instance, Americans expect that an "enchilada" will be rolled up
tortillas stuffed with meat or cheese, smothered in enchilada sauce
and sprinkled with cheese before being placed in an oven to melt the
cheese.

That's actually known as a "gringa enchilada," because American women
have never had them any other way...

American's don't know what to make of an "enchilada estilo
Guadalajara," with unmelted cheese, they think it's a *tostada*.

Actually, *anything* in a chile sauce is "enchilada," because it's *in
chile*.

"Carne asada" is a misnomer for thin strips of tough beef which have
been *fried* on a grille.

But "carne asada" means "roast meat."

It could be *any kind of meat*, it could be beef or pork or lamb.
Unfortunately, Americans have come to believe that it's overcooked
tough beef strips.

"Fritatta" simply means "fried," but Mexicans think of fried *fish*
when they hear the term.

> And yes, they do taste different. *Plantain, banana, and corn husks
> (fresh or dired) all add flavor, especially when steamed.

I don't eat leaves, unless they are lgrape leaves, lettuce, cabbage,
or spinach. I don't *want* my tamales to taste like leaves.*

> And you
> can't steam tamales properly in the microwave (at least not how you
> describe).

Try it. It works just fine.

You can also steam tamales in a tightly covered pot in an oven, you
don't need a tamale steamer that you only use once a year.