Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Starbucks Korea Now Using Real Cups

In article >,
says...

http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_V...&code=Ne2&cate...

> > > I applaud their efforts. Unfortunately here in the US I suspect
> > > that the vast majority of cups are takeout so they will still use
> > > paper. However, they do use recycled paper and the cups can be
> > > recycled as well.

> > Foam cups can be recycled also. The problem is, we don't. Most times they
> > just go to the trash and, hopefully, to a trash to energy plant where they
> > become fuel for a powerplant. Disposables are borderline compared to the
> > energy of handling and washing a ceramic or glass cup.

> Borderline? What about the bad things we need to be aware of with
> plastics? Styrofoam is a plastic AFAIK.

What bad things?

The real question is whether they're allowed to recycle the cups. McD
at one time went to 100 percent recycleable packaging and set up to
recycle all of it. They were informed by the government that they would
not be allowed to do this because it was "contaminated with food". It
seems to me that the same would apply to coffee cups.