Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Robert Zaleski Robert Zaleski is offline

Default Finally made some *real* sourdough bread

I hear you on the collapse. I've been putting the bread out for the
final rise exactly as I plan to cook it. So If I'm making a crusty
round loaf, I'll lay it out on the pan to do it's rise for 8 hours or
so, generally in the oven with the light on. I'll pull the pan out
heat the oven and put it back in.

I've done the dutch oven with yeasted bread, but it seems safer to do
the following for a good hard crust. Take a corning ware bowl and
fill it with water. Nuke it so it's warm and put it in the oven on
the bottom rack for warming. Then take a metal 1/4 measuring cup and
pour the water on top of the bread as you put it in. The bowl of
water stays below it. After 10 minutes I re-ladel the hot water on
the loaf. You have to be careful not to burn yourself here. I get a
great crust, equal to that of the dutch oven method, and it feels
safer to me as I've had a few flat loaves.

Robert Zaleski