Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
schwarze schwarze is offline

Default tamales

On Feb 4, 10:37*am, "kliserup" > wrote:

> That whole website is strange, people are asking if you eat the corn husks
> too....

I never even *saw* a tamale wrapped in an hoja until I was 24 years
old and bought a greasy tamale off a loncheria truck.

Whenever I was served a tamale in a sit down taqueria, it was already
unwrapped and drizzled with mole before and the plate was heated in an
oven before being served.

Hojas are superfluous anyway.

I never use hojas to make tamales, because I don't plan to sell them
to strangers in parking lots.

I make my instant masa, grease a microwave safe bowl, line it with
masa, pour my prepared meat and chile into the bowl and cover it with
masa.

Then I nuke the covered bowl for 20 minutes on high and let it steam
itself for another 30~49 minutes and there's my tamale.

I scoop out some of it out onto a plate and it tastes *exactly* like a
tamale made with hojas.