Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kuthe[_3_] John Kuthe[_3_] is offline

Default Cooking pasta with salt and water

On Feb 1, 7:07*pm, Cheryl > wrote:

> > Salt raises boiling temperature to a very small degree, given the amount of
> > salt usually put into the pasta water.

> > IF you want to cut your bubbling. add 1 tablespoon oil to the water. The
> > lessening of bubbles will astound you.

> I just recently discovered that with rice. *Rice always bubbled over
> with foam no matter the size of the pot. *Once I read here that some
> sort of fat would reduce the foam, I've never had that problem again. I
> use just a little slice of butter in the cooking water.

I'm cooking a batch of brown rice as I type. Brought the water, salt
and butter up to a good rolling boil, dumped in the rice, brought back
to boil, covered and turn the heat down to a simmer, and in one hour:
perfectly cooked brown rice!

I get no boiling over, ever.

John Kuthe...