Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Cooking pasta with salt and water

Julie Bove > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> There is no need to add salt in the first place.

>I believe there is. Lidia Bastianich said the water needs to be briny with
>salt. Pasta hasn't got a lot of flavor. IMO, it doesn't taste like much if
>you don't add the salt.

I guess my view is once you try it a few times without salt,
you will never miss it. Salt preference is very much a matter
of what you're used to.

I haven't added salt (nor oil) to pasta boiling water for many
years, maybe a couple decades, and I don't miss it at all.

Tangentially: I did try the Bionature pasta that Christine and
others recommended here. And, it seems maybe slightly slightly better
than other whole wheat pastas. It's apparent from the labeling that
it is slightly less dried out (less carbs, calories, and protein per
ounce of dry pasta), and their blurb says something about
a special "slow drying process".

Steve