Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking pasta with salt and water

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> aem > wrote:
>
>>On Feb 1, 3:57 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:

>>> There is no need to add salt in the first place.

>>Pasta cooked in salty water tastes better than pasta cooked in plain
>>water. Easy enough to validate--just make two batches, drain and
>>taste test.

> Well, perhaps my affinity for salt is different from yours. And
> in any case I like "surface salt" -- sea salt applied after a
> dish is composed, or when it is close to completion.
>
> There are some exceptions, and one is pasta in broth (e.g. pasta
> and leeks which I wish to be slightly soupy... not a total broth
> dish like you would find in Italy, but in that direction).

I use sea salt in my cooking unless the recipe calls for something else.
The only foods I like the surface salt on, as you say, would be popcorn,
French fries and similar types of potatoes, baked potatoes and green salad.
Otherwise I don't like it at all.

My mom cooks without salt. She always tells us if we want salt to add it
later. For me it doesn't work that way. Brown rice with salt on it just
tastes like salty brown rice. But add the same amount of salt in cooking
and it tastes fine.