Posted to rec.food.sourdough
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Finally made some *real* sourdough bread

graham wrote:

> These days, for all my free-form loaves, I use the NYT baking method. I heat
> up a Lodge cast iron dutch oven, and lid, in the oven to 450-500F. I then
> tip the proofed dough into it, put on the lid and let it bake for
> ~30minutes. I then remove the lid and bake for another 15-20 minutes,
> depending on the size of the loaf.
> I've had too many failures baking from cold although I know it works for
> some, DA for example.
> Graham

There's no way I could have transfered the dough to a hot pan without
collapsing it. But I could have put this in a preheated 500 degree
oven and then turned it down to 350°. I may try that next time and
see what difference it makes if any. And I probably should slash the
top with a razor so the steam can escape.

The bread tastes wonderful. It's by far the best loaf of bread (any
kind of bread) that I've ever made. Maybe I shouldn't change anything :-)

-Bob