Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Lunch on the thirtieth day of January

Only a day late with this one. I prepared a nice lunch yesterday for Miz
Anne and I. We weren't very hungry having had a large breakfast, our
usual Sunday first meal, a large fritata with eggs, bacon(chopped),
sweet chiles, hash browns, onion, etc.

Our luncheon meal was a sub sandwich for each of us, on whole wheat
buns. Horseradish mustard was the first thing put on the bread, for Miz
Anne's I also put pimento cheese, then chopped ham luncheon meat,
lettuce, tomato, and a slice of sweet onion. For mine I used the
horseradish mustard, smoked gouda cheese, braunsweiger sliced thin,
lettuce, and onion.

The main thing I added to each plate was all home preserved pickles as
follows:

Barb's prize winning bread and butter pickles
sweet pickles I had put up early last year
pickled sunchokes with onion and sweet chiles
pickled cauliflower with onion and sweet chiles

All vas good yah! Particularly the pickles. We were so full we didn't
even eat dinner that night.

I really like the sunchoke pickled and pickled, crisp, cauliflower has
always been a favorite. We are getting such huge heads of cauliflower
that my next pickle project will be mixed garden pickles, aka giardinera
(sp?). Cauliflower, carrots from the garden, maybe some broccoli
florets, pearl onions (purchased) and probably some cucumber chunks
(purchased). Oh yeah, we're getting very large, very sweet Tokyo Cross
(white) turnips, the only way I eat them is raw or pickled so there will
be a lot of turnip in the mixed pickles plus anything else I can find of
interest at the local market.

The beauty of making lots of jars of pickles is that all the descendants
love pickles too, so there's always gifts available for the little's,
the mediums, and the larges. Little's are great grands, mediums are
grands, and larges are our children. Just an explanation of what I call
the family.

George, enjoying the warmth of our southern early spring, supposed to be
71F today. Eat your hearts out Yankees!