Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent Kent is offline

Default Focaccio--back to basics

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 20:27:26 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Boron Elgar" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..
>>> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:50:22 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"

>>> No need for you to snort, of course, as there are as many variations
>>> of focaccia as there are little towns in Liguria that make their
>>> version as do some other places in Italy.
>>>

>>Some other places ? Nearly all other places.

> Some don't...it is damn common, but not universal, at least insofar as
> my own travels.
>>
>>> In fact, you can even cross over into France and try some fougasse if
>>> you want another variation.
>>>

>>Exactly. The word of focaccia is a very big place.
>>
>>> The LAT article cited above mentions Carol Field's book. You'd do well
>>> to read it.
>>>

>>Whatever for ? When I want to go to Italy I drive 2 hours.
>>It would have been better if the author had read the book.
>>That "back to the basics" makes as much sense as
>>"Pie - back to the basics". What's a basic pie ?

> Because it is an excellent bread book - very well written.. I have
> lots of foods available nearby my home, but that doesn't mean I won't
> read about them or seek out recipes.
>>

> Boron

I think also, that Carol Field's books on breadmaking are excellent. I have
a recipe for foccacia continuously in my head. Even though, I frequently
pick up her book to see exactly what to do. Foccacia is similar, I think, to
ciabatta. It's a high moisture dough you knead and rise less rather than
more.

Kent