Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar[_1_] Boron Elgar[_1_] is offline

Default Focaccio--back to basics

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 20:27:26 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
> wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.. .
>> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:50:22 +0100, "Michael Kuettner"
>> > wrote:

>>>That's original focaccia ?
>>>Not in the real world (ie., outside the USA).
>>>High water to flour rate ? <snort>
>>>Rest overnight in the refrigerator ? <snort>
>>>The only focaccia which resembles the thing in the article would be
>>>the "Focaccia al formaggio" from Liguria.(200 g flour, 100 ml EVOO,
>>>salt and cold water).
>>>"Focaccia sarda" (from Sardinia) has a potato dough.
>>>
>>>Focaccia could be translated as pancake.
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Michael Kuettner
>>>

>> No need for you to snort, of course, as there are as many variations
>> of focaccia as there are little towns in Liguria that make their
>> version as do some other places in Italy.
>>

>Some other places ? Nearly all other places.

Some don't...it is damn common, but not universal, at least insofar as
my own travels.

>> In fact, you can even cross over into France and try some fougasse if
>> you want another variation.
>>

>Exactly. The word of focaccia is a very big place.
>
>> The LAT article cited above mentions Carol Field's book. You'd do well
>> to read it.
>>

>Whatever for ? When I want to go to Italy I drive 2 hours.
>It would have been better if the author had read the book.
>That "back to the basics" makes as much sense as
>"Pie - back to the basics". What's a basic pie ?

Because it is an excellent bread book - very well written.. I have
lots of foods available nearby my home, but that doesn't mean I won't
read about them or seek out recipes.

Boron