Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Good eats - BBQ

Cheryl wrote:

> "Alton uses brined pork, a flower pot, a trash can, hardwood smoke and a
> lot of patience to make barbecue-like pulled pork".

On the one hand when I lived in California I would read Prop 65 labels
and not by ceramics containing lead. Who knows if a flower pot
contains lead and yet here's Alton Brown cooking with one.

On the other hand he's not using it as a cooking surface and not storing
food in it so any lead exposure is extremely minimal.

I don't know exactly where the trade off between these two extremes is
but I have gradually lost interest in his tendency to go to the hardware
store to by stuff to cook with. I like cooking gear for cooking and if
some tool is a uni-tasker then I either get over it and get the item or
not cook that recipe.

Sometimes cooking tools grow and grow. Sometimes I trim out any
uni-tasker item that I have not used in the last two years. It's a
cycle.