Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Expired "Fiber One" bars ( Aug 21, 2010) and "Odwalla" originalSuper protein bars (Dec 25, 2010)

On 1/21/2011 7:34 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 18:45:31 -0600, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> On 1/21/2011 5:09 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> I rarely toss expired food unless it has obviously spoiled. Often that
>>> date is a Best By date; even a Use By date I've missed doesn't
>>> automatically get tossed out. Where's common sense?
>>>

>> Obviously not around here, I do the same thing. Being the nit picker I
>> am I rotate food to the front of the shelf every time I shop. Now, if I
>> could convince my loverly wife to do the same. Hah!

> I just found a jar of something that had sneaked its way to the back
> of my highest kitchen shelf and taken up residence. It was shrimp
> paste. Had a use by date of early 2006. That is gone now.
>
> Usually, I am lenient with my expired foodstuffs, but something about
> this screamed "toss me, please," and I obliged.
>
> Boron

Anything with seafood in it that is that old I would toss too. When an
elderly relative died many years ago I helped my cousin clean out his
Mom's pantry. Had home canned stuff in there that had to be from the
early forties maybe earlier. The lids had rusted off, some jars had
bubbled over. I guess my auld auntie just couldn't see or smell that
well anymore. I did salvage the jars though.