Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] hrbrickerNOSPAM@verizon.net is offline

Default Questions for all

On 13-Jan-2011, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> ?
> "Gz" > wrote
> >> Here I was before Christmas. I decided I wanted to
> >> cook a ham, then found out nobody sells hams to
> >> cook. Well at least the groceries do not sell ham.
> >> What the deal ????
> >>
> >> I always remember my mother cooking ham with all the clove inserts.
> >>
> >> greg

> > Then, they seem to sell mostly smoked ham, and it does NOT LOOK LIKE
> > SMOKED HAM. Whats the deal ??
> >
> > greg

> You need to clarify what you are looking for a bit. There are fresh hams
> and cured (smoked) hams.
>
> Fresh hams are just a big pork roast from the back leg. They are not in
> the
> stores all that often, mostly appearing at Easter and Christmas. Cured
> hams
> are brine injected and cold smoked so they don't look like the ham from
> your
> smoker.

What Ed said about hams. Fresh hams are almost never seen in the
supermarkets
here. They do have all manner of cured hams and from a variety of vendors. I
do
have ready access to fresh hams from two sources. One is a full service
butcher
just a few miles from the house and the other is about 45 miles away. Those
two
sources offer all cuts up to and including whole hogs. The closest one does
not
routinely put whole shoulders in the case, but I can have one simply by
asking
and might have to wait until the next day to pick it up. They don't prewrap
any-
thing an cheerfully custom cut whatever the customer asks for.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)