Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Article: "Bad News for Paddington Bear: British Children Shun Marmalade"

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:47:08 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:47:10 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Soon, I'll
>> Their prices can be pretty high. I don't recall the prices for
>> marmalades and such.

>I don't buy regular marmalade because it's too sweet. Blech.
>Too bad we have to search out a British store just to buy something
>decent.

Typically Brit marmalade contains significantly more sugar (it's much
more dense/crystalene than flowing US marmalade) but the very tart
Seville oranges mask the sweetness. I don't particularly like Brit
marmalade, it's more a poor quality confection than a spread... I find
its texture icky, like cheap jelly beans. I don't consider their
Seville oranges a plus, they're sour but taste nothing of oranges.