Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Article: "Bad News for Paddington Bear: British Children Shun Marmalade"

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:47:16 -0500, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Lenona wrote on Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:19:10 -0800 (PST):
>
>> More about marmalade:

>> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/9a37551e-1...#axzz1Ay5tc5RE

>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...n/12/marmalade
>> ("Marmalade's appeal must endure")

>In the US, is it possible to buy marmalade made with bitter oranges and
>lots of peel at a reasonable price, say about $4 a pound? There are some
>imports that are good but the prices are cruel. At one time, Keillers
>was a possibility but nowadays, it seems to be mainly made with pectin.

I don't know-- but all this talk of marmalade makes me want spring to
hurry up. My first pound of rhubarb each spring goes to marmalade.

6 cups chopped rhubarb
6 cups sugar
2 medium oranges

Combine rhubarb and sugar in a large heavy saucepan. Grind oranges,
including the peels, in a food processor; add to rhubarb mixture.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring often
until marmalade sheets from a spoon, about 1 hour.

I don't think I've ever seen bitter oranges when I need them. I
pick barely ripe oranges that look good at the grocery. It has been
a never-fail recipe for me.

Jim