Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default Article: "Bad News for Paddington Bear: British Children ShunMarmalade"

James Silverton wrote:
> Lenona wrote on Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:19:10 -0800 (PST):
>
>> More about marmalade:

>> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/9a37551e-1...#axzz1Ay5tc5RE
>>

>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...n/12/marmalade
>> ("Marmalade's appeal must endure")

> In the US, is it possible to buy marmalade made with bitter oranges and
> lots of peel at a reasonable price, say about $4 a pound? There are some
> imports that are good but the prices are cruel. At one time, Keillers
> was a possibility but nowadays, it seems to be mainly made with pectin.

Ahhhh. The last time I was at British Delights in Westford, Mass.
they did have what you seek. (Is that called thick cut or
something like that?) However, having recently decided that sweet
marmalade is too lacking in character and the other is too bitter,
I was looking for the latter so I could mix the two. I had a hard
time finding any of the marmalades with lots of peel. Soon, I'll
Their prices can be pretty high. I don't recall the prices for
marmalades and such.

--
Jean B.