Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Green foam on irish steel cut oats

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:20:17 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>>On 12/01/2011 8:24 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>> Here's a new one for me.
>>>
>>> I picked up a bag of organic oats from the bulk bin in a health food
>>> store yesterday.
>>>
>>> I used to use McCanns- I've been using Country Choice for months. I
>>> used the same pot& process this morning- but the new oats.

>-snip-
>>
>>The green foam is nothing to worry about. It is the result of enzymes
>>reacting with hard water. It has no taste and no ill effects.
>>I usually get it with my steel cut oats because I have very hard water.

>thanks- I wonder what McCann and Country Choice do to avoid that. We
>do have hard water-- but we've been eating steel cut oats 3 days a
>week for a year or two-- and 'often' before that. Never got the foam
>before.
>
>Jim

The green foam is minute bits of plant matter containing chlorophyll.
McCann's oats are toasted and polished so the plant matter containing
chlorophyll is removed/negated. But most if not all the no name bulk
oats are actually barely out of the field and processed very
minimally. Chlorophyll does not dissolve well in water, hardly at all
in hard water so the green is more pronounced, the solvent for
chlorophyll is isopropyl alchohol.