Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Green foam on irish steel cut oats

Here's a new one for me.

I picked up a bag of organic oats from the bulk bin in a health food
store yesterday.

I used to use McCanns- I've been using Country Choice for months. I
used the same pot & process this morning- but the new oats.

I boil 4 cups water- add oats- stir until the foam goes away- cover
over a double boiler- and go about my business for 1/2 hour.

Everything looked fine when I covered it. 45minutes later I came
in from moving some snow around and my wife asked me what the green
stuff was on this morning's oatmeal.

She had scooped some off for me before she stirred the pot and got her
bowl. It is apparently not a quick acting poison, as she is
still alive and has had no ill effects.

She just figured it was some new type of oatmeal I was trying. [which
it was-- but I didn't expect the green-ness] It tastes fine, and
smells like good oatmeal.

I'm going to call the store when they open-- but in the meantime, has
anyone else had post boil green foam form on their oatmeal?

Jim