Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default TN: Sicily and Alsace

On Jan 11, 11:30*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 1/11/11 10:57 AM, DaleW wrote:
>
> > But I think Sicily is one of the most improved areas in last few year.
> > I'm particularly fond of Etna Rosso, the wines are grown up high on Mt
> > Etna, so not as obviously hot climate. There's a range of styles- the
> > basic Terre Nere and especially the Biondi come across as almost
> > Burgundian, the upper level Terre Nere wines are more slick/modern but
> > very good, and some more rustic wines like this. But in general
> > interesting appellation.
> > I also like Montoni's Nero d'Avola, both regular and Vru-something.
> > *Arianna Occhipinti makes very interesting wines in the natural/
> > hipster mode.

> Arianna Occhipinti and her uncle at COS make some very interesting wines
> from unusual grapes like Frappato. *Of the Occhipinti wines, I've most
> enjoyed the SP64 blend.
>
> > Frank Cornelissen also gets lots of acclaim (and some raspberries) but
> > I've not tried.

> Yes, Cornelissen's wines are about as controversial as any I can think
> of. *There seems to be a lot of sentiment (as opposed to sediment) that
> a lot of them that reach the US have been damaged in some way. *I dunno:
> too pricey for an experiment in my book.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

All of this talk of Sicily made me recall that I had purchased a mixed
case of Sicilian wine years ago and I still have a few bottles
remaining so I just checked and I have a couple of bottles of 1985
Duca Enrico Rosso Sicilia Nero D'Avola. I'll open a bottle with
dinner tonight and report. Not expecting much.