Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default REVIEW: Trader Joe's Tuna in Green Curry and Tuna in Red Panang Curry

Mark Thorson > wrote:

>These are new products in pouches shelved next to the
>canned fish. They are quite cheap, at only $1.49 each.
>However, I wouldn't have bought them had I checked how
>much sodium they have, about 1500 mg which is more than
>half what an adult should have in a day.

>I prepared them over rice, and only ate partial portions
>because I watch my sodium. They both contain a generous
>portion of yellowfin tuna, and it's pretty good when you
>consider it comes from a pouch.

>The green curry was good, but the sauce is somewhat watery.
>The red curry is a spicy, creamy sauce with plenty of
>coconut milk. It is outstanding. Wonderful product.
>
>If it weren't for the high sodium content, I'd buy the
>red curry often. If you don't worry about sodium, these
>products are great values.
>
>On another topic, I've been thinking I've been limiting
>myself too much by buying only their California olive oils.
>This time, I bought their only Italian (Sicilian, actually)
>olive oil. I just tried it a few minutes ago, and I was
>not impressed.

Yes, that's not a particularly good one. What you might want
to try is their so-called "President's Reserve" Italian EVOO
which is a mix of Sicilian and Puglian oil. It's better than
80% of the pricey oils and has a high enough smoke point you
can sautee with it. It's also pretty inexpensive.

Thanks for the tuna report.

Steve