Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default REVIEW: Trader Joe's Tuna in Green Curry and Tuna in Red Panang Curry

These are new products in pouches shelved next to the
canned fish. They are quite cheap, at only $1.49 each.
However, I wouldn't have bought them had I checked how
much sodium they have, about 1500 mg which is more than
half what an adult should have in a day.

I prepared them over rice, and only ate partial portions
because I watch my sodium. They both contain a generous
portion of yellowfin tuna, and it's pretty good when you
consider it comes from a pouch.

The green curry was good, but the sauce is somewhat watery.
The red curry is a spicy, creamy sauce with plenty of
coconut milk. It is outstanding. Wonderful product.

If it weren't for the high sodium content, I'd buy the
red curry often. If you don't worry about sodium, these
products are great values.

On another topic, I've been thinking I've been limiting
myself too much by buying only their California olive oils.
This time, I bought their only Italian (Sicilian, actually)
olive oil. I just tried it a few minutes ago, and I was
not impressed. Maybe I just tried it the wrong way, on
plain white rice. I'll use up the whole bottle, but I'm
not optimistic. They have a Greek olive oil which is a
couple bucks more expensive. I may try that. They also
have a few Spanish olive oils, but I never use Spanish
olive oils due to their history of contaminated oils.
(Italians merely adulterate their oils.) Anyone know
if any of the other Trader Joe's olive oils are better
than what I've tried so far?