Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Tuscany, Campania, Dordogne

On Jan 6, 1:35*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 1/6/11 1:05 PM, DaleW wrote:
>
> > With the pasta/ragu, Betsy also made broccoli and a "butter bean bagna
> > cauda" salad. I wanted Italian red, and brought up the 1997
> > Mastrobernardino Radici Taurasi. Some VA, cherries, a bit pruney. Big,
> > still a bit of rough tannin on the backend. Wait, why am I drinking
> > this? C+

> > Replacement was the 2002 Montevertine. A bit too chilly, I decanted
> > and it gradually warmed up. Dried cherry, saddle leather, violets, a
> > bit of herb. This seems mature, midbodied, not a great Montevertine
> > but excellent for vintage. Probably at its best after couple hours in
> > decanter, last glass was falling apart a bit. B+/B

> Interesting notes, Dale. *How was 2002 in Tuscany? *Did they have the
> sort of rain problems that plagued Provence? *And what was up with the
> Taurasi? *Was it flawed, or did you just not like it? *I would think
> that Aglianico would be right up your alley, being the "Nebbiolo of the
> South" and all...
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

2002 was considered a disaster in TUscany I believe. Late rains. But I
think that they didn't make a Pergole Torte this year, just the entry
Pian del Ciampolo and this. So some good juice "declassified", and
strict selection, made for a good if not great wine

I usually do like the Mastrobernardino Taurasi, not sure if this was
storage (mine should have been fine, but I only got this about
2004/2005, so a few years in system)

Bill, no real apparent oak - this is the regular, not the Riserva.

The 68 Mastrobernardino Riserva is one of the greatest Italian wines
I've ever had.